I could eat soup and fresh bread everyday. Today’s soup is rich and creamy, but full of fiber, nutrition, and is relatively low in fat and calories, especially compared to typical cream of broccoli soup.
Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 small onion, diced small (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped small
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 6 cups bite sized broccoli florets
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can or about 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion.
- 2. Cook until the onions are softened and starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Add the cauliflower and continue to saute for about 10 minutes, until beginning to soften.*
- 4. Then add the broth, water, rice, and garlic to the pot and simmer, still over medium heat, until the rice and cauliflower are completely mushy.
- 5. While the rice and cauliflower are cooking, toss the broccoli and oil, spread on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Roast at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the pieces are getting crispy. 6. When the cauli and rice are totally softened, add the beans to the pot and puree with an immersion blender or in the pitcher of a blender, until completely smooth.
- 7. Stir in more water or broth, so the soup is as thick or thin as you prefer.
- 8. Stir the roasted broccoli to the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- * You can saute the cauliflower for more than the 10 minutes. A longer saute time will develop more flavor, but obviously increases the overall cooking time for the soup. So, if you're in a hurry, saute for 10 minutes, then add the rice and liquid. If you've got plenty of time on your hands, saute for upwards of 25-30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely soft and has begun to brown, before adding the broth and rice.